- /bəˈgɪnɪŋ/ (say buh'gining)
1. the act or fact of entering upon an action or state.
2. the point of time or space at which anything begins: the beginning of the Christian era.
3. the first part or initial stage of anything: the beginnings of science.
4. origin; source; first cause: humility is the beginning of wisdom.
5. from beginning to end, from the initial phase to the final stages.
6. the beginning of the end, the point at which a negative outcome becomes evident and inescapable.
Australian English dictionary. 2014.